Thursday, March 10, 2011

American Craft Council Show (Assistance)

Kiwon Wang (Right) and Me (Left)
For a couple of days, I was working at the American Craft Council as an assistance to a very famous Jewelry Designer named Kiwon Wang who is very Talented. She was featured in Interview Magazine along with other big names such as Balenciaga, Givenchy and many more. And she was also on the covered on and featured in Ornament Magazine.

From the Fabric of Life Collection
Many of her work include paper and pearls. She said to me, "I chose because..." I thought that was a very great quote, everything she does has a reason especially when it comes to her conceptual work.


If you actually look at her display, the bottom is actually cardboard box and I think it's smart and eco-friendly.  Also the back of wall features her works called "The Fabric of Life" which is actually not online but features in Interview Magazine. 


Another work of her that is also famous is the New York Times paper with silver.  And these also features pearls and paper. These are the ones that were featured on ornament magazine.  

I asked her why she chooses to work with pearls. She said a lot of her work is about East meets West, but mainly about her coming to America and finding her identity, about the universe and life and who she is. In Chinese culture, it was believed that pearls had the universe inside them and also the belly button of the Buddha was called "Pearl". That's how she chose to work with pearls and that's because they have a meaning of life which relates back to identity.

Another thing that is important is, she makes containers a lot because it's about containing who we are and containing life.  That's why container and and pearls go well together (since pearls were believe to contain the universe.  She even uses the pearls to make the container in the Fabric of Life collection. 

Myung Urso (Left) and Me (Right) 
Some of her famous production lines are also inspired by the universe as well, such as her Milky Way collection.  And there are others such as the Watermelon Series as well as the Cubes collection. 

Arthur Hash(Left) and Me (Right)
Working with her was just fantastic because I learned so much.  But I also walked around the show and met very amazing designers and artists and some that were not very good.  But Here are some of the people that I truly just love. 

Myung Urso's work has a lot of paper and it's just fabulous.  She uses mulberry paper.  She also won the Excellence Award.  It's really cool.

Arthur Hash is totally badass.  He was there and I said AHHH I'm a student of Jan Baum.  And I went insane.  A lot of his work is laser-cut or 3D printed, which we all know how to do that.  Rapid prototyping and laser-cut.
Arthur Hash's Work.


The one on the left is a broach that was 3D printed and then he put the moss inside which I thought was totally cool.

Also in the picture of myself and Arthur Hash, in the back wall, there's the bicycle necklace that is laser cut the same and then used plastic screws to put them together.  Hot.

Carolyn Morris Bach and myself
i also met Carolyn Morris Bach who is totally fabulous.  One of her work was worn by a politician, known as the Pin Lady.  She would wear pins that had a political message, a message she could not say in public.

Ping Wu from Project Runway
Other artists I saw were Melissa Fonnelli, Janine Descresenzo, these two were just fantastic.

OH OH and you guys might not believe me but I ment Ping From Project Runway who was totally cute. She even offered me a banana because I didn't have anything to eat. She was a booth almost across from Kiwan Wang so She and I would chat sometimes.

David D'Imperio and Myself
And last but AWESOME!!! This guy is named David D'Imperio.  He designs furniture such as lightings and shelves.  He did everything that my professor, Jan Baum, is obsessed with.  He did Laser-Cut, Tabs and Slots and everything was well-executed and designed.  It was HEAVEN.  Here are some of his work.


1 comment:

  1. Yo Tai, if you're going to the Craft Council next year, do me one favor: Suit up.

    ReplyDelete