Friday, February 18, 2011

Casting: Skeleton to Skin Rhino to Carving Wax Processes

Base Sketch
Upper Right Front View
When I went to start on the wax, I realize I did not know exactly what I wanted to do 3-d wise because when I sketched it, I see that it worked but what about depth and layer and the composition as a whole and from different perspective and not as 1 angle.

With that I started to use a 3-D Rapid Prototyping program/modeling called Rhinoceros, which is fabulous.

Over to the left, that's the sketch I decided to base my design off.


Beginning Stage
Back View
I went and started on Rhino and came up with this form and I have different views here.


 Took different pics of different views as reference and also printed out the real size which was 2"x2"x2"

Later I realized it was WAY too big and would be WAY too heavy.  And started to carve down a little bit more.

The more I was doing it, I thought to myself at how much I do not like how it was turning out.



Semi-finished Front
Back View
If you actually look at the first rhino picture, The top left ball is actually very big and also, it was aligning up with the ball right below that which made a terrible composition.  With that, I cut that off and adjust the ball towards the center a little bit which gives it a more balance composition which is exactly my aesthetics.  Not only that, the semi finished looks as if it could come alive.  It's awesome.  I thought it looked a little bit like a Pokemon or a Godzilla.


Since this project was just about form, I was able to transform it from different inspiration and truly focus on the composition which I am happy with.  But I will be needing to file and give it a better craftsmanship.





1 comment:

  1. I was thinking about this for a while Tai, I love how we are hand carving these things when we could get them printed in thermo-plastic and cast. I bet even the SLS nylon would cast as well. I think that would be a cool material study, I might try it.

    ReplyDelete