Friday, February 18, 2011

Jewelry 2: Marriage of Metal and Lamination Inlay

Never have I ever done anything like this.  I just learned how to do marriage of metal and wanted to give it a try.

I decided to do Marriage of Metal. If you do not know how to do it, I'm about to tell you how I did it.

1. I cut out a design on nickel silver.

2. Cut the same design on another piece of color metal such as brass, which is what I did.

3. Fit the positive design of nickel silver into the negative hole of brass. 
Notes for #3: 
- cut tho brass inside the line, so if the nickel silver doesnt fit properly into the hole, you can sand away.  (can always take away) 
- solder doesnt fill big gap and is not a replacement of metal

4. Solder on the back 
Result of Marriage of Metal and Lamination Inlay

That is marriage of metal.  When you take part of a piece of metal away and put another type there.  

After marriage of metal, I wanted to include copper. So I went ahead and did lamination inlay.

5. Cut out another design from the nickel silver/brass design piece.

6. Take that piece of married metal and sweat solder on the back.

7. Solder down to a piece of copper.  (Make sure you see the solder flow all the way to edge. All edges)

8.  Roll press in 1 direction.  (North)

9.  Anneal the metal

10.  Roll press in another direction. (East)

11. File and sand

1 comment:

  1. Tai this is AWESOME!!! I can't imagine how much time this would have taken. this is soooo impressive!

    ReplyDelete