Saturday, March 12, 2011

New York City Design Field Trip

After I was finished the American Craft Counsel Show and left at 10PM-ish, I had to get up at 4:30 AM the next morning to go to New York City for a Field Trip.  When I got onto the bus, it was very cool because it just people who were the majors and also in the J-Baum classes. It definitely brought all of us together.  I actually got to know Ashley Santana more and we became very close. It was awesome.


Ashley and me
During the ride to New York, they put on a movie how Pixar put movie together, how they now have overlapping projects and how some of the things were very hard.  One of my favorite movie is The Incredibles and they said it was very hard to make due to certain elements such as:

1: Humans

2: Water
3: Humans underwater

I never thought it was going to be very hard because they're just carton character, but I thought of how I'm a portrait artist and it is quite hard because how they look must also convey who they are because certain looks and characters are associate certain ways.

Before
After
It took a little less than 3 hours to get there which was shorter than we expected because it was a saturday-no traffic.  When we got there, it was told that we were a bit early for the MOMA (Museum of Modern Art), so Ashley and I decided to hit some Starbucks and came back.  Our tour was at 11 AM which actually never got booked but before that, we actually went to the MOMA Design Store, which had a lot of very cool products, and things that I have seen before (from Ponoko), or products such as an animal made from cardboard, or bags designed by Issey Miyake.  But there is this thing that I thought was very cool, because it has a lot to do with mechanisms and you can extend it out, very contemporary and very modular which are very big right now.
Wall Mounted Terrarium by Paul Hayes

We went back to the museum, we saw this awesome terrarium which was mounted on the wall, designed by Paul Hayes.  And another terrarium that coming from the floor and the wall to make a ball in the space, which was cool.

Terrarium from the ceiling and floor by Paul Hayes
I have seen something in that style but I didn't quite expected it that this situation but it just happened as soon as we walked in.

After we went in, and after I had to check my bag...., I started to work from the top floor down to the bottom which was cool because we got to see the Andy Warhol Exhibit which I wasn't allow to take pictures of.  But there were all these videos of people's faces, portraits. It was very interesting.  There was one that was called Blowjob but all you can see is this guy's face while he is receiving oral sex.  I thought of how it looked very sexy because you didn't see the action that was taking place but you can see his emotion and how he was feeling coming out, which I thought was just perfect and quite beautiful.  

Myself with Paul Cezanne's work
We keep on moving and looking then came the room that was full of the well-known artists and painter from the 19th century which totally gave me butterflies in the stomach.

I walked in and saw all these big names that I learned in high school.  I felt I was in a room that was filled with one of the biggest names in history especially a group of people that was recent and wasn't only a legend but wasn't so different.  They were relatable.

Some of the painters were: Paul Cezanne, Van Gogh, Matisse, Monet, Manet, Henry Rousseau and many more.

Ashley and Myself with The Starry Night
After I centered the room and was mesmerized by Cezanne's work.  Someone said to go and look at the Starry Night.  I thought, "What? Are you kidding me?" I didn't actually know the Starry Night was here.  I went and looked at the painting and I almost cried.  My eyes were watery but I was in the public so I didn't want to cry.  Then I make someone take a picture of me and Ashley with the Starry Night.

It was AWESOME!!

After the museum, we got on the bus and went to SOHO with and got some food to eat... sandwich and wine, fabulous.

Of course after we were finished, we saw our favorite teacher, Janet Huddie who was sipping wine with Katja and Rachel, 2 graduate students at Towson University Metals Program.

The rest of the day was a blur of boring things.  it wasn't that well planned so we just walked and tried our hardest to get lost.  We went to different design studios and it was very boring cause I dont know New York so I dont wanna explore and am a little scared.

We then got back on the bus at 6 PM and came home, the whole time with Lindsay shouting things... nasty things.

Here are the pictures of the things that I love.


And a view of NYC:

No comments:

Post a Comment