Monday, March 28, 2011

Defense Tile Project Reflection



When I first started doing this project, I wanted to focus on marine life but as I did more research on biodiversity, I focused on the amazon and was very inspired by dart frogs and the idea of standing out and blending in came to me in the words of defense.

When I first started, I had sketches and pictures to refer to so I knew where I wanted to go.  I knew also knew that I didn't want to do too much etching because I felt it was a bit of cheating.  I believe that I would feel different if i had combine it with something else, because with it alone, it looked as if I wasn't trying and the ones that turned out to be very awesome would be the ones that were not etched.

Overall, I am happy with what I have to present.  I didn't get to have 20 tiles like a lot of other people, but I know that the ones I came up with took a lot of time and I believe that quality beats quantity any day. Someone could have 20 tiles but mostly etched... I would feel better with 11 that has a lot of other techniques such as marriage of metal, lamination inlay, solder inlay, chasing and repousse and foldforming.  The point of this is to learn and practice of all of these techniques and I've done that.

There were a few that weren't that successful to me. I thought that the lionfish which was not part of this would turn out better. (Thank got I did it in nickel silver and not silver.)  And The chameleon could be better too but it wasnt too bad.  I would say that my favorite ones were the clownfish in the sea anemone and the dart frog one with the lamination inlay.

I also love how I did the book instead of the frame because it wanted to have this "Animal File" feel. I didn't want to for only show but wanted to be more of a documentary.  And I chose wood and brown because it went with my theme and with the color that I chose to present the tiles on.

Glad that I did it and still want to continue with it but at the moment, I need to take a step back.  I know I can push myself and will continue to do better at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment